What do you understand by learning? For a kid who is in Class one, he/she may grasp learning as a word which means to memorize the school notebook or the chapters taught by the teacher. If you ask the same meaning to an old aged person, he/she may answer the meaning of learning in a different way. In actual sense, learning is knowing about new things and getting new experiences in life. Whenever we do a new thing, we learn and thus it can be said that learning is a continuous process.
We will see the different types of learning and its characteristics which makes it interesting. There are various types of learning and some of them are discussed here one by one:-
- Skill Learning:- The first type of learning is Skill Learning. Skill Learning involves getting efficiency in doing a certain task. You can enroll yourself for skill learning from a certain institute. However you must know that skill learning also involves extra curricular activities and it can include learning a gardening skill to learning about a new coding program. Skill learning also helps in the education sector because it makes you more inclined towards application based learning. Skill learning starts from a very tender age and you can keep on learning and acquiring skill till your old days.
- Conceptual Learning:- Conceptual learning is another type of learning. In conceptual learning, people learn about various concepts and then transfer them to various people. A teacher transfers his/her conceptual understanding of a certain subject to the group of students. It is an endless chain of learning. Conceptual learning can be from various domains such as educational, spiritual, philosophical, etc. Conceptual learning helps in memorizing the facts for a lifetime. You don’t forget easily when you learn about a certain subject after properly understanding it. Conceptual learning will help you in making intellectual decisions.
- Perceptual Learning:- Perception is a great thing through which you can learn. It means that people will learn through sense, through hearing something or through his/her own experience. People can learn from new people, can learn from new places, etc. If you are learning something new from your experience, it can be also considered as a form of Perceptual learning. This type of learning gives a person the power to observe everything around him/her. You start learning even from the smallest thing that has happened around you. Perceptual learning also helps in catching anything or any new fact very easily.
- Attitudinal Learning:- Attitudinal Learning implies learning from the behavior of another person. When we visit a new place or when we meet new people, sometimes we like them and sometimes we don’t like them. Attitudinal learning teaches both the aspects of life. One aspect teaches us to be sure about the things that need to be done in life and the other aspect that we learn by people are the things that we don’t need to do in our life.
Essential characteristic of Learning.
1. Learning Involves Change.
It involves reconstruction, combining knowledge, expertise, and appropriation into a single, cohesive process.
2. All Learning Involves Activities
These activities involve either physical or mental activity. They may be simple mental activities of complex, involving various muscles, bones, etc.
3. Learning Requires Interaction
At the time of learning, the individual is constantly interacting with and influenced by the environment. This experience makes him change or modify his behavior to deal effectively with it.
4. Constitute Learning
To constitute learning, the change should be permanent. Temporary changes may be reflective and fail to represent any learning.
5. Learning Is A Lifelong Process
Learning is a lifelong process of acquiring and using the information presented to a person. It is not static.
A person never stops gaining new information. It keeps a person’s mind active and aware but also aware of the world around them.
6. Learning Occurs Randomly Throughout Life
Some learning occurs randomly throughout life, from new experiences, gaining information and from our perceptions.
7. Learning Involves Problems Solving
Learning involves problem-solving i.e. understanding & discovering relations among the different contents in a situation.
8. Learning is the Process of Acquiring Information
learning is the process of acquiring knowledge & information.
9. Learning Involves far more than Thinking
Learning involves far more than thinking: it involves the whole personality – senses, feelings, intuition, beliefs, values, and will.
10. Experience is Necessary for Learning
We can achive the experience from direct observation or from formal approaches to learning such as training, mentoring, coaching and teaching.
Learning is essentially the learning of a new discourse—a new way of thinking, doing, interacting, and even seeing the world.
It is a continual process that a person engages in that enables the acquisition of knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors through observation, seeking prior knowledge, looking for guides, as well as looking both within and outside of themselves. There are many online websites such as Gibbon which are bringing change in the learning process and thus it is an essential step towards change.
- Gibbon gives you the ability to conduct & record LIVE classes, host unlimited video courses, provide online mock tests, and conduct online tests with LIVE proctoring abilities.
- Gibbon also provides you ready-made content of 1600+ Competitive, Entrance, and Academic exams from around the country.
- Gibbon helps you reach out to more students online and get a complete marketing setup.
- We have helped more than 3000 Brands, 10000 Institutes, 20000 Teachers and 2 Crore Students, transform their education and future.
Gibbon stands for “Online-Ready Teachers for a Future-Ready India”.
To get started, book your free demo now.